Sunday, January 8, 2012

happythankyoumoreplease

This film premiered at Sundance last year and I yearned to see it daily for about a year until finally it got released into theatres and onto Netflix recently. happythankyoumoreplease was written, directed, and starred in by Josh Radnor, who is famed by his television show, How I Met Your Mother. The writing of the film was superb, very witty, on point, and just quirky. The directing was normal at points, but in others, it took my breath away. Sam is a writer, played by Radnor, and when on the subway, he sees what he thinks is a boy get separated from his mother. The boy is actually in foster care and he does not like the foster parent he currently has. Sam decides to keeps him for a while as they become fond of each other. That is just one of the stories going on. There were three interlacing stories that were all mainly focused on love. My favourite of which was Sam's. He met a girl, Mississippi (played by Kate Mara, sister to Rooney Mara who is in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right now), and before sleeping together, they decide to make a contract saying that they have to live together for three days before doing anything. It was just very interesting things like that that made the film what it is.
As I said previously, the directing was pretty good, at moments better than that. The writing was the best. The details that were inserted into the screenplay were put there in such original ways. One of the story lines is that Sam's friend who has some sort of auto-immune disease that renders her without hair, throws a party and invites all of their friends to explain the disease better. I had never thought of something like that before and it was details like that that made me smile because they were so original, or at least in my eyes they were. The ensemble acting was amazing. There were actors from everywhere that people would recognise but not be able to remember their name necessarily, but those are the best in a lot of situations.
I really enjoyed this film, which says something because I built it up in my head for a long time and it didn't live down my preconceived expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment